Thursday 15 November 2012

Spreading the Holiday Cheer!

As the cool winter weather rushes in I have the sudden urge to listen to rather folksy music, slap on the uggs and replace the rest of the items in my wardrobe with knitted versions of themselves. Perhaps it's the deep-seeded canuck in me that craves this cold (or as some would call 'bleak') winter weather. But there is something really magical about the winter season: the air is brisk, the kindness of humanity is at an all time high, and did I mention the FOOD?

This is the time of year that I tend to shine, or as some say (ie. my husband) go a bit looney-tunes in the 'spreading the holiday cheer' department. Fortunately he loves the season just as much as I do, so in a way it kind of compensates.

But let's get serious for a moment, that special feeling of sparkly rainbows dancing in your tummy is often a result of people adding that extra something (ie fat and sugar) to every holiday recipe. Some of my earliest and happiest childhood memories are baking shortbread cookies with my grandma: secretly eating little bits of raw cookie dough when the adults 'weren't looking,' the smell of maraschino cherries lingering in the air and the excitement that came with seeing those beauties come out of the oven all golden. So if you find yourself craving that spine-tingling, heart stopping pleasure center that is holiday food: look no further my friends, you have arrived. :)

So here's the pitch, I am going to do a series of recipes leading up to the holidays that are some of my absolute favorites: traditional recipes with a modern twist! Think for a moment, of butter tarts (a traditional favourite in my household); now imagine replacing the raisin-y bit with a pink sugar plum version of itself. o_0 Yes, I think this will be a wonderful holiday. These are definitely not your Granny's recipes so stay tuned for the festivities!

This will be known hence as the Twelve days of Christmas Bake-athon!!! I really want to hear what y`all have to think about all these as well, so please comment away! Feel free to send along requests or to share your favourite holiday recipes!

Until next time folks I will leave you with this:
What was your fondest memory of holiday baking when you were young?
Leave your answer in the comments!

xo Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment