Sunday 23 December 2012

Fruitcake Whoopie Pies

On the fifth day of Christmas my true love gave to me, fruit cake whoopie....pies! Okay, well you got to give me some credit that was almost a rhyme.

Oh my goodness, is Christmas really in two days!?! It's time to take your battle positions people, this is not a drill!

But fruitcake whoopie pies? FRUITCAKE? Oh yes. From a person who is not particularly fond of fruitcake, you will love this nicer, lighter, and overall friendlier version of said evil pudding. Don't believe me? Try it for yourself! ;)

After many failed attempts each year to create a fruitcake that isn't quite so vile, I had finally thrown in the towel and called it quits. This cake was not meant to taste good. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of fruitcake and all the flavors it encompasses, it's just something about the texture that makes my body squeal "don't feed me cement"! And so I moved on for a while, until one evening in the kitchen making gingerbread, I had a thought: what if fruitcake could be in a different, tastier form? What if fruitcake, perhaps, wasn't a cake at all?

The moment it dawned on me, I dropped everything to create my monster. And you know what? It worked.

I'm not sure why this recipe never occurred to me before! It is absolutely delicious and will, hopefully, change your opinion on fruitcake! So here it is, try it and let me know what you think!

Fruitcake Whoopie Pies
makes approx. 10 large pies

Ingredients:
3 3/4 cups plain flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
3/4 cup softened butter (unsalted)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup molasses (black treacle)
3/4 cup buttermilk

filling:
1/2 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. rum extract
2 tbsp. maraschino cherries, finely chopped
1 tbsp. raisins
1/2 tbsp. candied ginger, finely chopped
1 tbsp. walnuts, chopped
1/2 tbsp. dates, chopped
1 tbsp. milk, more or less depending on desired consistency

*note: the filling includes my favorite dried fruits in a fruitcake, but you can add whatever suits your tastes!

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. (190 C.) and line three baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, salt, baking soda and spices and set aside.
3. In another bowl (preferably bowl of a mixer) whip brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy; should take about two minutes. Scrape the sides and add the egg and beat until well incorporated.
4. Add half of the dry ingredients and mix to combine. Add molasses, the remaining dry ingredients, and the buttermilk.
5. Once the ingredients are completely combined and the dough is formed, scoop 1/4 cup balls out on a baking sheet, 6 per sheet. Bake for fifteen minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on baking sheet on wire rack.
6. While pies are cooling, beat butter in mixer on high until light and fluffy. Turn mixer down to low and add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time and continue to mix on low until all sugar is combined. Add rum extract and mix until combined. Add desired dried and candied fruits and a splash of milk if it looks too thick.
7. When pies are completely cooled, frost them with your fruitcake filling.


There you have it! Un-fruitcake! I hope you enjoy this recipe and many more to come, I just want to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to read my humble little blog! It means so much and I hope this blog will continue to blossom from all your help, I couldn't do it without you! I hope this season fills you with happiness, love and a whole lotta' lovin' from your oven!

From all of us to all of you, Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

xo Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment