Tuesday 11 December 2012

Sticky Orange Gingerbread Cake

It's time for the second recipe of the Twelve Days of Christmas Revamp with sticky orange gingerbread cake! Oh yes.

This current holiday season I seem to be obsessed with ginger; it's warm, spicy and basically encapsulates Christmas in your mouth. I find myself adding a dash of ginger to nearly everything I eat (okay well most things) just to replicate this divine spice of Christmas.

Okay, so I know sticky gingerbread cake isn't anything new, but let me just clear the air--this is the gingeriest gingerbread cake you will ever taste! Oh my, it is an absolute treat! But what makes this the gingeriest gingerbread cake, you ask? My secret weapon: ginger preserve and candied ginger!

I have always had a love affair with putting candied ginger in my baking. And being a serious ginger connoisseur, it definitely adds that extra ka-pow that my taste buds yearn for. Now, of course you can make candied ginger, but if you're anything like me (and don't have time), my all-time favourite is The Ginger People's crystallized Ginger Chips. They are absolutely perfect for baking and come already chopped into tiny bits, so you don't end up with a spicy giant clump of ginger scorching your poor tongue. Seriously, check them out, http://www.gingerpeople.com/crystallized-ginger/crystallized-ginger-chips.html. I use them in everything. :)

And as for the jam, I first encountered ginger preserve when I first moved to England. Oh. My. Goodness. Why don't we have this in Canada?!? I actually don't think I can function without it in my life anymore. It's the best, trust me. ;)

Anyway, back to the recipe!!!


Sticky Orange Gingerbread cake:
makes about 20 squares

Ingredients:
2/3 cups butter
7 Tbsp. golden syrup (corn syrup)
7 Tbsp. molasses
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. brown (muscovado) sugar
2 tsp. crystallized ginger chips
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. baking soda, dissoled in 2 Tbsp. of warm water
1 cup full-fat milk
2 eggs, beaten to mix
1 1/2 cups plus 1 Tbsp. plain flour

glaze:
1/4 cup ginger preserve
juice of half an orange
zest of half an orange

icing sugar, for dusting

Method:
1. Preheat your oven to 170 degrees Celsius (350 F). Line an ovenproof dish (approx 30cm X 20cm) with parchment paper (or grease it real good with butter).

2. In a saucepan, melt butter over a low heat along with syrup, sugar, molasses, ginger chips and spices.

3. Take off the heat when sugar is dissolved and add milk, eggs and baking soda-water mixture.

4. Measure the flour into a bowl and pour in the liquid ingredients, beating until well mixed. It will be pretty liquidy, but don't worry, this adds to the stickiness later!

5. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45-60 minutes depending on your oven. Bake until risen and firm on top, but be careful not to over bake, as a little stickiness is a good thing.Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool.

6. In the meantime, heat ginger preserve, orange juice and zest in a saucepan over medium-low heat until liquidy and sugar has dissolved.

7. Poke several holes into the surface of the gingerbread with a skewer, this will let the glaze seep into the cake. It's best to do this when it's still warm. Pour the glaze on top of the gingerbread and spread into all the tiny holes.

8. Cut into 20 square and dust with icing sugar. Serve and enjoy!

This recipe is perfect for entertaining a little or a lot of guests! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and I dare you to eat just one!

Until next time!

xo Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment