Wednesday 19 December 2012

Maple Gingerbread Cookies

Hello all! It's the fourth day of my 12 Days of Christmas Revamp!

I absolutely love gingerbread. Recently, I can't seem to get enough of the stuff in my system! So for my fellow gingerbread freaks out there, this will seriously knock your socks off: Maple Gingerbread Cookies. Just let that soak in for a minute and think 'WHY HAVEN'T I THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE'!

Personally, I have always had a hard time finding a good gingerbread recipe; they were always a bit to crunchy or too strong in taste, but this discovery has changed all that.

Now I understand that adding some maple syrup to gingerbread cookies is a bit stereotypical to my deep seeded Canuck (Canadian) within, but honestly this will be my go to recipe from now on. The cookies are strong enough to hold their shape (say if you wanted to build a gingerbread house like I did), but still deliciously soft when you bite into them. I have finally found a happy balance of spice and texture!

Now let the magic begin! (sorry about the photo quality, in between cameras at the moment!)


Maple Gingerbread Cookies
makes approx. 24 cookies

Ingredients:
5 1/2 cups plain flour, plus more for dusting
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. ground ginger
4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup molasses
Royal Icing, for frosting (optional)

Method:
1. Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and spices in a medium bowl until well mixed.
2. Beat butter and sugar in a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy and pale. Add eggs one at a time, beat after each addition. Reduce speed to low and add maple syrup and molasses. Gradually add flour mixture and beat until just combined. Divide dough into 3 portions, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for at least an hour. It is best to freeze this dough if you can, I froze my batch for two days: it's a great make-ahead recipe.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (170 C). If you haven't previously frozen your dough, roll dough out to about 1/4 inch thick on a very floured piece of parchment paper (on a baking sheet) and freeze for 15 minutes.
4. Cut out desired shapes, transfer back to parchment lined baking sheets and freeze for another 15 mins. See why it's just easier to freeze in the first place? ;)
5. Bake cookies for 6 minutes. Remove sheets from the oven and tap them firmly on the counter to flatten (this is not a crucial step they will just be a bit fluffier if you don't). Return to oven and cook until crisp but not darkened, 6-8 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.
6. Ice with your favorite icing; I prefer royal icing cause it dries and is easiest to transfer.

Seriously, you will LOVE this recipe and it may even slightly change your life.
Until next time!

xo Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment